Grateful

8:21 PM

It's Friday night, the baby's asleep and I'm thankful to home for the night. Today was Drew's grandfather's funeral. There are mixed emotions leading up to a day like this. A funeral is way to gain closure and celebrate the earthly life of someone, but with closure comes grief and sadness.

I was so pleased with the warm, loving celebration over the last two days. Between the visitation and the funeral service there were hundreds upon hundreds of visitors, it was very overwhelming. I've seen crowds like this before at a funeral, we all have. But let you remind you, all these people were there to pay their respects to an 84-year-old man. A man that had outlived most of his friends, not someone who was young or famous, just a wonderful man who led his life with great integrity, strong leadership and a heart for Jesus.

Dr. Elder of First Baptist Church of Columbus conducted the service and it was (as one of Drew's friend's said) "Right on". He told sweet, funny and touching stories about Paw Paw and there were times when there wasn't a dry eye in the house. One of the most special moments of the day took place at the graveside service. The preacher had collected a bag of soil from the farm that Drew's granddad was raised on as a little boy and where he retired and has lived for the past 20 years. The soil represented his love for the land/farming and the family and legacy he left behind. Then members of the family were asked to sprinkle the soil their at the grave. It was a very special moment and one I will never forget.

I am thankful that I got to know Mr. Parkman for the years that I did. He was not my grandfather, but he and Motsie treated me as one of their own from the first time Drew introduced us. And for that I'll always grateful. I just hope that I can lead a life as meaningful and full as he did. Libby can be proud that her lineage leads back to such a wonderful man.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

I love reading your comments! Leave a note to let me know what you think.

Popular Posts

Where you from?