Elf on the Shelf

12:30 PM

I am so excited that Libby is old enough to start the Elf on the Shelf tradition. Several of my friends with older kids have been enjoying the tradition for years and I think it's such a fun idea.

I bought the set (a book and a toy elf) while I was out shopping Black Friday. We waited until Sunday night to sit down with Libby, read the book and explain the rules. She sort of got it. She sat and listened to the story for about three minutes. Then she broke free and ran around like a wild indian. So we broke it down for her in much simpler terms.



If you don't know about this tradition, it goes like this: An elf comes to your house to keep an eye on your child(ren). He flies back to the North Pole every night to report to Santa. Then he finds a different hiding spot every day. Your child has to find him every morning. Children cannot touch him and he cannot talk. However they can talk to him about anything they'd like, even share their Christmas list with him. I love the idea and think it adds to the excitment of the Christmas season!

Also, the child gets to name the elf. When we got to that portion of the book we asked Libby, "What do you want to name the elf? You can pick any name." She fully understood and said, "Uhhh...Jesus!" We died laughing. I said, "You want to call him Jesus?" She said, "Uhhh...." then threw in some gibberish. We composed ourselves and asked her again. "What do you want to call the elf?" And she said loud and clear, "Chris! For Christmas." Drew and I said, "That's a great name! Do you want to call him 'Chris'?" She said, "Yes!"



So we welcome Chris Jesus Parkman the elf into our family tradition. (Nice name, huh? You can borrow it to name your own child if you'd like!)

Merry Christmas! I hope your holiday is off to a great start!

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I have been planning to post about our Elf, too. I was SO excited to start the tradition this year....but, Brodie "ain't" buying it. He says toys don't REALLY fly. Blayd could care less. MANN BOYS! *SIGH*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    Thanks for sharing this link - but unfortunately it seems to be down? Does anybody here at theparkmanfamily.blogspot.com have a mirror or another source?


    Cheers,
    Oliver

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Leave a note to let me know what you think.

Popular Posts

Where you from?