Breakfast Casserole

7:07 AM

Christmas morning I served breakfast casserole. I love having breakfast casseroles at showers and brunches, but have probably only made it for myself one other time. I found this recipe several weeks before Christmas and held on to it. It stood out because it was one you make in the crock pot - just my speed!

I prepped everything Christmas Eve and added it all to the crock pot before going to bed.

First I mixed 10 eggs with 1 cup sour cream, 1 cup milk, along with salt, pepper and dry mustard.


Then I browned 12 oz of sausage.


I chopped up an onion and bell pepper. Then I layered all the ingredients - half the sausage, onions, peppers and a layer of frozen hash browns.


Then I added a layer of shredded cheese - lots of it! Then repeated the layers. 


The final step was to pour my egg concoction over the contents of the crock pot. I poured some, let it settle, then poured more. The crock pot was full.


I turned on low and cooked for 8 hours. When I woke up the kitchen smelled so good. I'll admit, I was a little worried about how the casserole would turn out in the crock pot. But when I lifted the lid early Christmas morning, it was perfect!


I cut the recipe down a bit (I used 10 eggs instead of 12, 12 oz of sausage and about 15 ounces less of hash brown than the recipe called for) and it made a huge amount. It served six adults and we ate left overs for two mornings. I also froze a large Tupperware container to pull out later.

Crock Pot Breakfast Casserole:

12 eggs or 2 cartons egg beaters
1 (32 oz) bag frozen O’Brien hash browns (rinse to get rid of any freezer burn taste)
1 lb cooked & cut up bacon, ham or sausage (or a mix of them)
1/2 C diced onion (I added a bell pepper as well)
3/4 lb shredded cheddar cheese
1 C milk
1 C sour cream
1/2 tsp dry mustard
salt & pepper & other seasonings to taste

Directions
1. Spray 6 quart crock pot with nonstick spray.
2. Put ½ of the hash browns, meat, and onion mixture. Sprinkle on half the cheese. Repeat
3. Mix together eggs, milk, sour cream and seasonings. Pour this mixture over the top of ingredients in crock pot.
4. Cook on low for eight hours.

If you ever need an easy breakfast item that feeds a lot of people this is it! Of course you can add or leave out ingredients you don't like. If I can successfully cook this, then you can, too!

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Thanks for sharing! I made one for the first time this Christmas, too - but not in the crock pot! I will try this one next. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds yummy! I will try this for our Sunday School class soon since it feeds a lot. Also, congrats on your big news!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Leave a note to let me know what you think.

Popular Posts

Where you from?